Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Rather Lame First Post of 2009

No. Sorry. No Christmas photographic extravaganza. No solemn New Year’s resolution. If that’s what you’re looking for, move along – there’s nothing to see here.

A very low-key holiday season, you see. A used video game for Heir 1; a poster for Heir 2; and a handknit scarf for each. Oh…and deodorant in their stockings – but that was more an item from the grocery list that did double duty as a stocking stuffer.

I told them this would be the Christmas they would bring up to their own kids when they think the holiday has gotten too materialistic: “Why, when I was your age, all I got for Christmas was some lame scarf my mother knit herself…and I was happy to get it.”


No, it wasn’t as dismal as it sounds. We ate and played board games and ate and cooked and ate and then ate some more.

And then we wrapped up the New Year with optimism, an emotion I never expected to feel again. But there it is.

Perhaps I mis-spoke. I will make a New Year’s resolution after all. I’m not going to apologize anymore when we spend money. It's a habit I've developed, feeling I have to justify every purchase I make. But it’s also something I’ve noticed everyone doing lately and it's extremely annoying because it make the assumption that the other person is rude enough to pass judgment on what should be a personal matter. It’s none of my business how you spend your money and what you consider a want or a need. Those are unique to every person or family. I will assume you will have the good manners to do likewise.

So please, stop apologizing to me about the cup of coffee you bought at Starbucks or that you went out to eat and had dessert. I promise I won’t apologize for ordering two pairs of tights and a set of double-pointed knitting needles.

But...no hard feelings, k? Here's some gratuitous doggie pictures of Toppergetdown and Zsa Zsa:



3 comments:

Meg said...

Yay! Toppergetdown photos are always welcome around here!

I have to ask, though, have you seen this site?

http://www.deadgingerbreadmen.com

Highly amusing. I especially like the idea of historical re-enactments of events using gingerbread men.

Clara Bow will soon be starring in an upcoming post over there (they found an old photo I have of Miss Bow gnawing on a gingerbread toy and asked to include her), so she's pretty excited. Being a diva, she's ALL about the attention, you know...

Plus, you're right, no need to apologize for spending money!

John said...

Amen, sistah! I don't think we realize how much we do that...I think it's probably because we feel guilty about it and assume people are passing judgment...at least that's why I do it!

Sisiggy said...

Meg: That site's pretty funny. I look forward to Clara Bow's closeup!

John: Sadly, some people are. But, when you think of it, that says more about them than it does about me.